February 2017

Discussion in 'What did you do in the garden or allotment today?' started by ZoshJosh, Feb 5, 2017.

1. ZoshJosh

ZoshJosh New Member

Went to the veg plot and dreamt. I had to order some seeds from seedparade, those I know will give me plenty of my favourite veg all year round in my little area and in the greenhouse. Can't wait for spring.

2. naturewoman

naturewoman Super Moderator

Weather and work have been against me sorting out my beds and borders, but as you say it's nice to dream about what is to come.
    I am going to dust off the propagator this week and get it set up ready for the off.....
    I will only start some herbs, salads, chillies and a few early toms. Most veg will be started next month.

3. naturewoman

Started on my big garden tidy up on tuesday, it was still rather wet under foot though. Did get some seed sown and nestled them in the heated propagator. Sowed 2 varieties of maincrop onions, Red Barron and Supersweet and 3 varieties of lettuce, these being Little Gem, Webbs and dwarf iceberg type Warlock. I also will sow a few early toms, some leeks and chillies this week.

4. naturewoman

Wow it's Saturday and a day off work! I normally work weekends ...... Two of my lettuce varieties that I sowed on Tuesday are already up. The little Gem and Warlock started to show just two days after sowing.
    These were opened packets too! They are now on a south facing windowsill to catch the best light. I will place them in the greenhouse in a couple of weeks as lettuce seedlings are pretty tough. The Supersweet onions that I sowed on Tuesday are also showing above the compost, but I will leave them in the progagator for a while longer.
    I sowed my first tomatoes on Thursday, these were bush and trailing varieties that I find are a bit tougher than the cordon ones. I will start some Sungold and Gardeners Delight soon. The rest of my toms I will sow in mid March.

5. Hoppo

Hoppo New Member

I've just been to mine to see what's left after Storm Doris paid a visit yesterday. I've lost some fencing near my gate and my polytunnel door has blown open and it's bent the frame a little where's its flapped in the wind. All easy to resolve thankfully. The guy next door has lost most of the glass in his GH and his shed looks like it was hit by a bomb the wind has blown straight through it taking two sides off. This weekends plans I had for sorting the beds in the tunnel have now changed to doing repairs but at least its getting lighter at night now so can start and have an hour after work to catch up.

naturewoman likes this.
  6. naturewoman

Hi Hoppo, welcome to the forum. Sorry Doris left you some damage. Where I live in North Yorkshire we were spared and the storm passed to the south of us.
    All my seeds I sowed last week are now through, even the chillies. They are now on the windowsill. I wll start some more tomatoes, chillies and some summer flowers on Monday, as I shall be at work all weekend.

7. bachus

bachus New Member

divided & replanted large clump of 'welsh onions'.This in about the only spot cleared so far on my new allotment site.Still bringing
    stuff from my other 2.These waterlog for longer
    each year,so last September while walking the
    dog spotted 2 vastly overgrown & abandoned
    sites.Asked the council if I could swap my 2 for
    1 of these,and when he stopped laughing ,and realized I was serious,said 'yes'.I've been
    'moving house' ever since.Itching to get started
    33x11m south facing on a slight slope , almost
    heaven!

Lajos likes this.